of the Siege and Battle of Corinth assists the Siege and Battle of
Corinth Commission and the National Park Service by raising private
funding and public awareness. Below are some of the local sites and
events we have assisted. Click a photo to enlarge.
House - The historic Verandah-Curlee House is currently "Friends"
most important funding project. The house has serious structural problems,
particularly with the roof and foundation. "Friends" is
seeking public and private funding for the projected $2 million renovation.
The Siege and
Battle of Corinth Commission envisions four phases of restoration
work for the Verandah-Curlee House Museum.
The Board of Aldermen
recently approved an application for an additional Mississippi Department
of Archives and History grant and committed to pay the local of $40,845
for work that will fall under phase two and focus on meeting Americans
with Disabilities Act requirements. The grant application seeks $163,380
for a total project of $204,225.
Siege and Battle
Chairwoman Rosemary Williams said the four phases include:
- Structural and
roof: The structural work is now underway with roof work to follow.
This phase of work will extend into the fall.
- ADA: Plans for
the second phase are an off-street parlomg area for vans, walkway
and ramp leading onto the end of the north porch, and a reconfigured
restroom inside the home, all to meet ADA requirements.
The phase also includes electrical improvements to include additional
power and will change the system from fuse boxes to breakers, a new
heating and air unit, limited plumbing improvements and restoration
of the old brick sidewalks surrounding the home.
Much of the work is required in order for the house to reopen to the
public, Williams noted.
- Interior improvements:
Phase three would include painting, repair of fabrics and furnishings,
refinishing of floors, and development and implementation of an interpretive
The phase is targeted for summer and fall of 2014 using private funding
from local fundraisers.
- Grounds improvements:
Planned for 2015, the final phase would include grounds repair, irrigation
system repair and landscaping according to the period.
The funding source
may be private via fundraisers.
built in 1857 for city of Corinth co-founder Hamilton Mask, the Verandah-Curlee
House served as headquarters for several generals during the Civil
War. The house was purchased in 1875 by Mrs. Mary E. Curlee, mother
of Shelby Curlee - founder of nationally famous Curlee Clothing Co.
- upon her husband's death in 1878. The house changed ownership twice
for very brief periods of time before being bought by Leroy Montgomery
Huggins. The Huggins occupied the home until 1921 when Shelby Hammond
Curlee purchased the home again for his sister, Neil. The Curlee family
of St. Louis, MO., gave the home to the City of Corinth in 1960. The
home is a designated National Historic Landmark.
home/museum located in downtown Corinth is a National Historic Landmark
furnished with attractive period antiques and art.
Jackson Street, Corinth, MS. 38834
Hours: Tours by appointment only
Phone: 662-287-4273 or 662-287-8300
Illumination - Hundreds of volunteers honor the souls of the twelve
thousand Civil War casualties by lighting luminaries the first weekend
of November each year. The luminaries are placed at the site of Battery
Robinett/Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center and then form a path
into downtown highlighting antebellum homes, the historic business
district, the Contraband Camp and the historic railroad crossings.
Civil War Interpretive Center - For
six months in 1862, Corinth, a critical railroad junction and second
only to Richmond in military importance, captured the full attention
of a divided nation. Today, one of the National Park Service's newest
visitors centers, interprets the key role of Corinth in the Western
Theatre of the American Civil War. The 15,000 square foot facility
features interactive exhibits, a multi-media presentation of the Battle
of Shiloh and the Battle of Corinth. The center stands near the site
of Battery Robinett, a Federal fortification where some of the bloodiest
fighting of the Battle of Corinth took place.
An obelisk stands
in tribute to Colonel William P. Rogers of the 2nd Texas Infantry,
who showed great bravery attempting to climb the walls of the Battery
to claim it for the Confederacy. Four unknown Confederate soldiers
are also buried at the site. Visitors reach the center by ascending
a walkway strewn with bronze replicas reflecting the aftermath of
battle. At the building's entrance, visitors pass six bronze Civil
War soldiers marching into the Center at double-quick.
On the grounds,
full scale reproductions of earthworks explain the importance of field
fortifications. An extensive courtyard exhibit is home to a water
feature commemorating two hundred years of American history. The Center
also houses a seventy-five seat auditorium, public research library,
and a gift shop/bookstore.
Address: 501 West
Linden Street, Corinth, MS. 38834
Hours: Daily 8 a.m. 5 p.m. (Closed on Christmas Day)
Crossroads at Corinth Depot - The Battle of Shiloh was fought
over the railroads in Corinth. The rail crossing gave Corinth a strategic
significance that made it the most important transportation hub in
the western Confederacy in the spring of 1862. The crossing of the
then Memphis & Charleston and the Mobile & Ohio, catapulted
Corinth into the national spotlight during the early years of the
War. These railroads were the only two major standard gauge railroads
in the Confederacy and were important for communication and supply
lines.Today the active freight lines sit in the same beds as those
from 150 years ago. Visitors may also get a glimpse of the historic
crossroads from the safety of inside the Corinth Depot which is now
the Crossroads Museum.
Address: 221 North
Fillmore Street, Corinth, MS. 38834
Hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Sunday 1:00 p.m.
- 4:00 p.m. (Closed all major holidays)
Contraband Camp - Many African Americans who fled Southern plantations
and farms seeking freedom and protection found the Federally occupied
Corinth to be a secure location. Union General Grenville Dodge understood
what effect the defection of thousands of African- Americans would
have on the Confederate War effort. He began to enlist the escaped
slaves who came into his lines as teamsters, cooks, and laborers.
He actively recruited male refugees, armed them, and placed them in
charge of security at the newly organized contraband camp in Corinth.
Dodge's refugee administrative efforts led to the formation of the
1st Alabama Infantry Regiment of African Descent, consisting of approximately
the supervision of Chaplain James M. Alexander of the 66th Illinois
Volunteer Infantry, the Corinth camp resembled a small town, complete
with a church, commissary, hospital, both frame and log houses, and
a street grid with named and numbered houses. An American Missionary
Association School operated where eager students of all ages sought
knowledge day and night.
a portion of this camp has been set aside to commemorate the events
with changed the lives of so many people. Bronze figures surround
the trail through the camp depicting the lives of these people once
considered contraband of war.
902 North Parkway, Corinth, MS. 38834
Hours: Daily, Dawn to Dusk
Civil War Earthworks - The earthworks were constructed to protect
the defenders from an attacking foe. Some were built by the Confederates,
others by the Union. Slaves, contrabands and soldiers using shovels
and picks, moved hundreds of thousands of tons of earth to construct
the rifle pits, forts and artillery positions. The placement of the
earthworks was carefully selected to take advantage of the topography
and the design and West Point trained engineers supervised construction.
The fortifications were laid out with military precision and the adjacent
forests were cut down to provide unobstructed fields of fire. Lined
up end to end, these earthworks would have stretched for an incredible
41 miles of which only 7.5 miles remain.
earthworks in and around Corinth are rare examples of the fortifications
used early in the war. Hastily built, these works are among the most
impressive and awe inspiring in the United States. The majority of
the earthworks were built between March and October of 1862 and represent
four distinct phases of construction. First was the "Beauregard
Line" named for General Pierre G. T. Beauregard, which was built
by the Confederates from March thru May to protect the city from attack
from the north and east. The Union siege lines, constructed in May,
protected the advancing Northern armies from surprise attacks. In
June and July Union soldiers constructed six forts, designated A thru
F to extend the captured Confederate earthworks completely around
the city. This was known as the Halledk Line, named for
Major General Henry W. Halleck, commander of the Union armies. The
Rosecrans Line, composed of seven small forts, was constructed
close to the railroad crossing and was designed to be defendedby a
small garrison of soldiers. This line was named for Major General
William S. Rosecrans who commanded the Federal army during the Battle
of Corinth, October 3 & 4, 1862.
the earthworks stand under the cool shade of protective hardwood groves.
The trees provide a shield from the rain and the potentially destructive
forces of erosion. The precise angles have been softened but even
the casual observer can still see the remarkable walls and rifle pits.
surviving earthworks around Corinth are one of the best preserved
groups of field fortifications, dating to 1862 in the United States.
"Friends" and the commission have preserved nearly 900 acres
associated with the Siege and Battle of Corinth. Five sites are open
with walking trails, interpretive signage, benches and other amenities.
Maps may be obtained at the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center.
All of the earthworks are well marked and have parking spaces or pull-offs
and many offer racks for locking bicycles. A few of the sites are
easily accessible though most require a walk of from several hundred
yards up to a mile. Well-marked paths lead to the sites, and most
have informative way side exhibits describing the individual earthworks.
Davis Street, Corinth, MS. 38834
Hours: Daily, Dawn to Dusk
invite you to join today and help us contunie to assist these local
sites and events. Click here to join.